Sunday, June 15, 2008

New Beginnings for 2008

Hello out there. It's time to dust off ye olde website and start preparing for TIFF 2008. If there's anyone out there at all, you might recall that I made all kinds of grandiose claims last year about "finishing what I started" and all that. Hell, you could just scroll down and see where I say that over and over again. Well, as you can see, that didn't happen.

I guess I should confess something: I'm not a very good blogger. I hope that isn't a huge shock to anyone. I don't have the internal drive and need to communicate that seems to be a prerequisite for serious bloggers. I'm lazy, I procrastinate madly and I mix up my metaphors like a dog driving a car through a plate glass window.

Here, however, is the real confession: I hate writing. Maybe I should clarify that: Writing frightens me. There's something so naked and personal about expressing yourself in a forum like this that makes me shrivel up inside. It's silly, it's irrational and it's strange behavior for someone who at least likes to pretend that he's a writer. But there it is and I can't avoid it or make it go away by magic.

So I will instead try to make it go away by writing more. I know what you're saying. "For the love of god, don't make any promises, you moron!" Well, here it goes: I promise to write more on this blog for the 2008 festival than I did last year or the year before. I also promise to make this a more wide-ranging blog than it has been, by focusing on more than just the festival and Toronto. Hopefully, you'll stick around. If not, oh well.

As ever, leave your thoughts or insults in the comments. They're always welcome, even if I never seem to respond to them. Sorry.

By the way, if you've been here, but haven't been to 1st Thursday, you should definitely go there now. Darren does what I've tried to do, only successfully. It's the best TIFF website you'll find anywhere.

No comments: